Treating Mental Illness and Substance Use Disorder Together: What You Need to Know (IDDT) – Part 3
July 13, 2023
Trainers: Brooke Schultz, LICSW Associate Director of Clinical Services
Kellie Geisler, LPCC, TCM Manager
Length: 10.5 hours (three ½ days)
This is a three-day training. Participants can take one or all days of the training, however, we highly encourage staff to attend all three days to get the best amount of knowledge and experience out of this training. You will receive information about illicit substances, their impact on the brain when a person also has a mental illness, and how to intervene during the stages of change. Instructors use a variety of large and small group exercises during all days of this training.
- Participants will be able to identify various illicit substances and prescription medications that are commonly misused
- Participants will become aware of assessment tools and clinical criteria to identify substance use disorders
- Participants will be able to list various harm reduction strategies
- Participants will be able to identify how mental illness and substance use disorders are inter-related and will receive basic information about brain chemistry as it relates to substance use disorders.
- Participants will be able to identify stages of change and stages of treatment
- Participants will review and identify appropriate interventions for each stage of change
- Participants will become familiar with basic concepts of Motivational Interviewing
- Participants will have the opportunity to create a treatment plan based on diagnostic information and scenarios.